Your goal is to keep the scabs on as long as possible and keeping them clean and moisturized to stay flexible.
● The area will be swollen, feel a bit tender, and quite dark. In some cases bruising may occur. And can bruise even after the procedure, do not worry, the bruising will go away within a few hours.
● You may take an extra strength Advil and apply ice (over a clean cloth) to help alleviate swelling. Do NOT apply ice directly on the lips.
● Clean the lips with a wet cotton or gauze or by rinsing with water every 30 min AND after eating until bedtime. It is very important to remove the lymph from the surface of the skin in order to avoid heavy scabbing.
● Reapply Aquaphor after each cleaning and as often as necessary.
● Do not touch the area without washing your hands
● Swelling will still be evident but should completely go away by the end of the day.
● The color will appear even darker as scabs begin to form. Depending on your skin, it takes anywhere from 5-10 days for scabbing to be over.
● Continue keeping the skin clean moist at all times, do not let the lips to be dry. And remember to always clean after eating (remember to wash your hands before touching the area)
● Keep cleaning and applying the Ointment as needed. Do not let the lips get dry.
● After the initial scabs shed off, your lips will go through a few more shedding phases and your lip color will constantly change.
● It is normal for your lips to appear brown or grey or dull for several weeks. It is your skin that is changing color NOT the pigment. Please be patient and allow the full healing process to take place. At 6 weeks, the true color will be evident.
*Please be aware that It is also possible to carry the Herpes virus and be unaware or have never had a breakout. And by having this treatment done, you may awaken an outbreak following the procedure. Anti-Herpes medication should be taken as advised by your doctor or pharmacist.
NOT ALLOWED during the scabbing phase:
- Sun exposure
- Prolonged exposure to water or sweat. If your tattoo comes into contact with sweat or tears, please rinse immediately and pat dry.
- Do not PEEL the scabs at all (you may cause scarring and loss of pigment).
- Do not apply anything besides Aquaphor ointment such as vaseline, antibiotic creams, neosporin, chapstick etc.
After Scabbing Phase:
- Once the flakes have fallen off, it means your skin has grown over and sealed in the pigment and you can go back to your normal routine.
- For 4 weeks after the procedure it is best to not use creams that contain acids or ingredients that will lighten or exfoliate the skin.
- Your lips will go through several changes in colour as the skin regenerates and completes the healing process which takes up to 8 weeks.
- You will experience the pigment going from dark to light to dark then back to light. Please be patient with the process at 8 weeks is when the true colour and tone will be evident.
- It is only after 8 weeks that a touch-up/adjustment can be done. Any earlier can damage the skin and cause scarring.
IMPORTANT: Please note that your tattoo will be very natural, much lighter and not as defined after healed. If you would like a more saturated color, it will require several sessions to achieve this.
- Once the treated area is completely healed, any changes or additions that need to be made can be done with a touch-up appointment no sooner than 8 weeks later.
- Results will vary with each individual and are extremely dependent on the health of your skin and how you heal. Therefore, please understand that all services are paid per session and non-refundable. Like with any beauty treatments, it may take several sessions to achieve desired results.
Once Fully Healed:
- Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydrogen Peroxide, Glycolic acid, Apple cider vinegar, Vitamin E and C, and retinols that can be found in Anti-aging / skin lightening/ skin brightening / acne products must be kept away from the tattooed area as continued use could deteriorate the pigment resulting in a bleached out color.
- Wear Sunscreen!!! Exposure to the sun over time can cause premature fading.
- Rinse and dry the area thoroughly when in contact with chlorine or salt water.
- If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your tattoo has healed, please inform the laser technician. Continue at your own discretion. Laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.
- This treatment does fade after 2-5 years depending on your skin and lifestyle. Touch-ups will be necessary for maintenance.
- If you have an iron deficiency, or a very strong immune system, your pigment will not last as long as others.
- If you are trying to fix a tattoo done previously by another artist, the final results may not completely hide the previous work. You may need additional appointments to have better results.
- After your perfecting touch-up sessions,, try to wait at least one year before coming back for a touch-up. This will be better for your skin in the long run and avoid the risk of scarring.
**Following these guidelines is extremely important for the healed results of your Cosmetic Tattoo. Please DO NOT use other products or follow other artists’ aftercare instructions. Through extensive research and tests, these instructions will give you the best results!**
Please email a selfie of your healed results to us at [email protected]! We would love to see how our work turned out and how we can improve your treatment at your touchup!