PDF LINK: Click to Download Aftercare Instruction
Your goal is to keep the scabs on as long as possible by keeping them clean, dry, and lightly moisturized to stay flexible.
- Leave your bandage/wrap on for 1-2 hours or until told by artist.
- Wear loose clothing over the area to prevent any rubbing and discomfort.
- Buy Aquaphor at your local pharmacy for moisturizing your tattoo.
After removing the bandage/wrap:
- Always WASH YOUR HANDS thoroughly with antibacterial soap thoroughly before touching the tattooed area. You don’t want to get the area infected!
- WASH your tattoo thoroughly (but carefully) to remove any excess dried blood and plasma using warm water and a mild, natural, fragrance-free cleanser like Cetaphil or Dr. Bronners Pure Castile Baby wash. Once scabs have developed, do not force them off during cleansing.
- DRY your tattoo by gently patting with a clean paper towel. Make sure you completely dry the area and do not rub!
- MOISTURIZE with a sheer breathable layer of Aquaphor. Do not suffocate your tattoo with too much product. If it looks greasy, blot it off.
Repeat these steps 2-3 times a day until the tattoo is FULLY HEALED. Remember that your tattoo isn’t safe from germs and bacteria until it has COMPLETELY finished scabbing and peeling.
- Do NOT pick or scratch at the scabs/dry skin/flakiness. Let the flakes fall off naturally. Picking can cause scarring, loss of pigment, and even an infection.
- Avoid exposing any sunlight while your tattoo is healing. You won’t be able to apply sunblock on the area until fully healed so you must keep the area completely covered from sunlight until then.
- Do not soak in baths, steam, hot tubs, saunas, and absolutely no swimming. Stick to short showers until your skin has fully healed.
- Do not put any harsh cleansers, creams, or any other products on your tattoo. Chemicals and colorants of any kind will irritate the area and may cause an infection or interfere with healing and the color of your tattoo.
- No heavy sweating until fully healed. Salt is your worst enemy and will draw out the pigment!
- Do not wear tight clothes over the tattoo. Your tattoo must breathe to heal faster.
- Keep the area protected from dirty environments to avoid infection. Wear clean clothes and sleep in clean bedsheets.
After Scabbing Phase
- Once the flakes have fallen off, it means your skin as grown over and sealed in the pigment. The color will appear milky and very faded. Over the next several weeks, the color will slowly reappear and become more vibrant so please be patient.
- The complete healing process takes about 6 weeks, at which time the true color of the tattoo is evident.
Once Fully Healed:
- Continue to moisturize the area regularly. Healthy skin means a healthy looking tattoo.
- Wear Sunscreen!!! Exposure to the sun over time can cause premature fading and discoloration of the pigment.
- If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your tattoo has healed, please inform the laser technician. Continue at your own discretion. Laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.
**Following these guidelines is extremely important for the healed results of Tattoo. Please DO NOT use other products or follow other artists’ aftercare instructions. Through extensive research and tests, these instructions will give you the best results!**
Please tag @studioartisphere or send us pictures of your tattoo! We LOVE seeing your pics of our work on Instagram!